What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Emma, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Warhawk

Warhawk The cake is a lie. Staff Member Contributor

Actually, some old Hardy Boys books. I had a bunch from when I was a kid and my wife ran across maybe a dozen more that I didn't have. Decided to read through the new (to me) stories, for nostalgia more than anything else.
  2. kingsfan1984

kingsfan1984 Well-Known Member

Just found the book thread after discovering the "lounge" and enjoying and appreciatimg the write ups everyone jas done....this series peeked my interest a lot so thanks! I read the first 3 game of thrones books about 15 years ago after randomly pulling the first off the local library shelf as a teenager with the title catching my eye. Loved it due to all the death and hardship which i thought made it more real. Looking forward to this trying this series. Havent read fantasy in a long time.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  3. kingsfan1984

Two of my favorite stories ive read that hold a special place in my top 5 list is Musashi (great book about a poor kid with veru rough life that finds his own way in a unlikely but inspiring journey into becoming a great samurai warrior)
    And my other favorite is Count of Monte Cristo. The book os far far better than the movie.

Currently im reading a history book called The Silk Roads A New History of The World. It shifts the focus of the "center of the world" aroumd to tje different areas of tje world through time that bettet captures the rest of the worls that is always in the shadows of history here in tje West and gives a more accurate picture of power and importance of countrys/cities/regions over time. World makes a lot more sense such as the British Rusaian conflicts and why China or India wasn't taking over Europe
  4. Warhawk

Warhawk The cake is a lie. Staff Member Contributor

Just started Ready Player One last night on the advice of Fireplug. Hadn't even heard of it before but I'm really enjoying it so far. Nerds with a soft spot for the 80's should get it, now.

Currently being made into a movie for release next year.
  5. The Hammer

The Hammer Well-Known Member

If I told you what political commentary I'm reading I would have antifa at my doorstep tomorrow.

Other than that, I read Jesus Calling daily, a great daily devotional in normal language but with direct Biblical references.

I need the latter to protect me from the former.
    Sac.1989 likes this.
  6. kingsfan1984

Just finished Trevor Noah's (now the host of the daily show) autobiography called "Born a Crime." What a crazy life. He came from "eating worms" poor in aparthied South Africa to what he is now. Amazing life full of some incrediblly difficult hardships. He brings a lot of humour and sharp wit to the carnage he lived through, mixing in some fasinating history and aobering perspectives of South Africa emerging from aparthied.
  7. kingsfan1984

After reading your posts and Jalfa's posts, i read book 1 of the Malazan series. I thought it was decent but i wasnt sucked in enough that i felt i wanted to commit to another 8 or 9 books...BUT from what you said here is that Gardens of the Moon (the 1st book) is arguably the worst then maybe i should keep going and will be happy i invested more time....oddly for me the biggest issue i had was how the romantic relationships were portrayed. It felt lie made for young teen audience and took away a lot of the feeling of "realness" to me. I found it odd the graphic levels of violence on the one hand and on the other a child like timidity or a shy uncomfortableness with love/passion/intimacy or adult romance on the other hand.
  8. VF21

VF21 #KingsFansForever Staff Member Contributor

I'm reading The Breakers Series (books 1-3) by Edward W. Robinson. I've been looking for some new authors, and stumbled upon this in the "free" section of books for my Nook. I'm rapidly becoming addicted to eBooks and this series is one of the best I've come across (especially being free ;) ).

In the Breakers series, humanity faces not one apocalypse, but two: first a lethal pandemic, then a war against those who made the virus. This collection includes the first three books and is over 1000 pages (350,000 words) of post-apocalyptic survival.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-breakers-series-edward-w-robertson/1116251161?type=eBook
  9. fansinceday1

fansinceday1 Well-Known Member

Just finished:
    Freakonomics
    A rogue economist explores the hidden side of everything.
    By Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner

Just started:
    One Second After
    By William R. Forstchen
  10. Kingster

Kingster Well-Known Member

It's a heavy lift, but very worthwhile imo to read and study Alan Bloom's translation of Plato's Republic, along with his 100+ page essay in the addendum. Then study Allan Bloom's The Closing of the American Mind - How Higher Education Has Failed Democracy and Impoverished the Souls of Today's Students. If you really want to take the red pill and go down the rabbit hole, study those two books. It's the beginning of understanding how ideas that propagate through space and time affect our individual beliefs and our culture to a degree you never imagined.
  11. itzcoatl

itzcoatl Well-Known Member

That sounds interesting. I read the Republic back in undergrad and although I consider myself a pretty good student, I think a lot went over my head at the time. I started reading it again and have had a lot more joy reading it than the first time around. I'll have to check out your other suggestion too. Thanks!
  12. Kingster

Kingster Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend the Bloom translation of the Republic, which is a highly footnoted and literal translation. Also, his essay in the addendum is worth the price of the book on its own.
  13. The Hammer

The Hammer Well-Known Member

Was Freakonomics good?
  14. kingsfan1984

Finished Why Nations Fail. Makes more sense than Guns Germs and Steel for explaining why sime olaces are rich and ithers not. Connects economics to the political process. Really enjoyable read.
  15. kingsfan1984

Red Rising

Couldn't put the book down and was eagerly waiting for amazon to deliver the next 2 books in the series so i could keep going.

A dystopia society set in the future. The main character is born into the lowest rung of society, a slave clan working the mines of Mars. The book follows his story as he trys to make the dream of his martyr wife come true.

"What do you live for?" She asks him
    "You"
    "Thats not enough. You must live for something more."

No long dry periods in the book. The author is clever making it hard to figure out his twists even though you know they are coming.

Has a hunger games feel to it in some sense but not teenie bopper like the movies.
  16. kingsfan1984

It was fun to read but not sure it offers anything to "lightbulb-y"

Its pretty simple supply demand real life examples such as what foes on with the drug trade.
    Government outlaws slashing auppply and making price shoot up....this gives big incentives to sell drugs thus gangs form etc etc same as prohibition of alcohol. He does same thing with prostitution and a few other things.

The catchy part of the book is he writes the book from a travel journalist point of view, as he actually visits the gangs and interviews the members to support his assumption (high srug prices assumed to be the motivation)
  17. eMBarkat10n

eMBarkat10n Member

I'll start off by being (brutally) honest. I hate to read. Reading makes me sleep. I don't know why it does, but it does. It takes me 2 - 3 weeks to get through an entire book because of it.

With that being said......

I used to read a lot when I was growing up, and going to school. Primarily because it was a requirement, but partly also because I did enjoy it a little more back then. A few of my favorites growing up are actually ones I would like to eventually go back and read again.

"The Boxcar Children" .. I loved those books to death when I was young. I'd even go as far as to say that some, if not all, of them were, and still are, my favorites of all time. Since I stopped reading those books (somewhere around middle school-ish (so around 1997-1998), I know there have been additional books in the series. I want to start with the very first Boxcar Children book, and slowly work my way to the end.

"The Giver" .. One of my favorites of all time. I just want to read it again to remind myself why I enjoyed this masterpiece so much.

Eventually, I do want to read the entire "Harry Potter" series. And I will.

"Star Wars" as well.